Hari Raya Edition: Kuih Sarang Semut
Yay! It’s nearing Hari Raya Aidilfitri, and what better time to kick start the long awaited bake spree, when it’s 2 weeks to raya? Heh heh. That’s just an excuse. I just hope that these cookies would last till raya! We lack self control!! Anyway, I can’t wait to exchange cookies with Sya this Saturday!
Have you ever wondered why it’s called kuih sarang semut (ants’ nest)? It’s not very appetising, is it, to be eating an ants’ nest? And really, ants’ nests aren’t these pretty.
I got the recipe here, but since it’s in Malay, I’ve included the English translation below, for those who don’t understand Malay, or, *ehem* step orang Putih. Hahaha.. Melayu celup!
250 g butter
100 g castor sugar
350 g plain flour ]
100 g corn flour ] sifted
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla essence and beat till combined.
3. Add sifted flour and beat till combined.
4. Grate dough into a clean bowl and spoon into small paper cups.
5. Sprinkle with chocolate and colourful rice.
6. Bake at 170C for about 15 to 20 minutes.
I think the pink casings are prettier than the purple ones.